4 large egg whites
3/4 cup granulated sugar, divided
4 large egg yolks
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 ounces cake flour (about 1 cup)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
21/2 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
33/4 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
2 cups reduced-fat unsweetened finely shredded dehydrated coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°. Coat 9-inch square metal baking panwith cooking spray; line bottom of pan with parchment paper, allowing parchment paper to extend over edge of pan.
- Beat egg whites with a mixer at high speed until foamy. Gradually add 6 tablespoons granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form.
- Place egg yolks and remaining 6 tablespoons granulated sugar in a medium bowl; beat with a mixer at medium-high speed until thick and pale (about 3 minutes).Beat in vanilla. Gently fold egg yolk mixture into egg white mixture.
- Weigh or lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife.Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; sift mixture over egg mixture, 1/3 cup at a time; fold in. Spoon batter into prepared pan, spreading evenly. Bake at 350° for 15 to 20 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched.Cool in pan 5 minutes on a wire rack; remove cake from pan, using parchment paper sides as handles. Cool completely on a wire rack (with parchment paper in place). Wrap cake and parchment paper in plastic wrap; chill 2 hours.
- Remove plastic wrap from cake; place cake (with parchment paper in place) on a cutting board. Cut cake into 16 squares, using a serrated knife.
- Combine milk and chopped chocolate in a small saucepan; cook over medium heat 2 minutes or until chocolate melts. Remove from heat; stir with a whisk until smooth. Add cocoa and powdered sugar, stirring with a whisk until smooth.
- Place coconut in a medium bowl. Dip cake squares, 1 at a time, into melted chocolate mixture, using 2 forks to gently turn the cake to coat; scrape off excess chocolate on side of pan. Place chocolate-coated cake in coconut, using 2 forks to gently turn the cake to coat. Place lamingtons on wire rack; let stand 15 minutes or until chocolate is set. Serves 16 (serving size: 1 cake)
CALORIES 263; FAT 6.7g (sat 4.3g, mono 0.6g, poly 0.2g); PROTEIN 3.7g; CARB 49.1g; FIBER 1.8g; CHOL 47mg; IRON 1.1mg; SODIUM 55mg; CALC 32mg
Reprinted with permission from Cooking Light Global Kitchen by David Joachim, copyright © 2014. Published by Oxmoor House, a division of Time Home Entertainment, Inc.